BAWSI Girls is a free after-school fitness and confidence building program where female athletes inspire young girls to get active, believe in themselves and improve their beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors about physical activity.
This program focuses on 2nd through 5th grade girls at schools where approximately 70% or more of students receive free reduced lunch.
BAWSI Girls having fun
The BAWSI Girls Program
to resiliency and opportunity…
BAWSI Girls Framework
BAWSI Girls Curriculum
fun, physical activity to move the body; and mindfulness to quiet the brain and combat the toxic stress of poverty.
• Introduce multiple sports and fun games that create physical literacy
• Weekly goal setting & pedometer tracking for physical activity
• Basic mindfulness techniques used each week
• Build the ability, confidence and desire to be physically active for life
• Ensure a positive, fun first experience with physical activity and sports
to a caring adult who provides unconditional encouragement, models positive choices and an alternative path for life.
• Children connect with the same two BAWSI staff members each week. One staff member leads the site while the other staff member connects at the “Red Station” where we facilitate mindfulness techniques and self-reflection
• A supportive correspondence is created between BAWSI coach & participant with the use of journals traded back & forth on a weekly basis
• Our ratio of role model coaches to BAWSI Girls is no more than 1:11 allowing for attention and connection.
belief that her/his own actions, beliefs, and ideas matter. Positive recognition for expressing, sharing, and leading.
• BAWSI Girls are asked to think and share their own ideas about how to work together, be a good teammate and input to other “words of the week” topics.
• 5th Grade BAWSI Girls can select to serve as “junior coaches” and participate in leadership sessions.
boundaries and routines that help set high expectations for her/his own behavior, accomplishments & achievements.
• “Words of the week” provide clear expectations for what it means to be a BAWSI Girl.
• Low coach to participant ratios allow for pull-outs and coaching around positive team behavior
Skills for Life
teamwork, collaboration, communication and more pro-social behaviors that enable success.
• Each week every game, team assignment, and exercise is intentionally selected to give our BAWSI Girls direct experience with positive life skills
Sense of Belonging
feeling like a valued member of a positive group or community.
• Starting with a membership card and ending with a closing cheer and BAWSI song, each BAWSI session is about building an inclusive, engaging team environment and camaraderie that lasts well beyond our time together on the playgrounds.
Typical BAWSI Girls Site
Free to students and school, after school program.
Offered at schools with demographics of ~70% or more free/reduced lunch program.
2nd-5th grade girls
50-65 girls per session
2 BAWSI-paid part-time staffers manage and lead site
4-20 female athlete volunteers from local universities, junior colleges & high schools
School administrators who help with recruitment, registration & retention
Current BAWSI Girls Sites
Percentage of free/reduced lunch per site.
- A.J. Dorsa Elementary 90% 90%
- Bishop Elementary 72% 72%
- Horace Mann Elementary 76% 76%
- Rosemary Elementary 90% 90%
- Blackford Elementary 69% 69%
- Scott Lane Elementary 90% 90%
- Fair Oaks Elementary 97% 97%
- Garfield Elementary 79% 79%
Source: National Center for Education Statistics, U.S. Dept of Education